Cooling Towers & Chimneys
Use high-pressure water 34 MPa (5,000 psi) to remove any delaminated, spalled and contaminated concrete to obtain a clean and well profiled concrete surface.
The exposed reinforcing steel needs to be cleaned using mechanical abrasion, but “white” metal surface is not required.
Corrosion Protection – Fibre-Prime
Clean reinforcing steel using mechanical abrasion – “white metal” surface is NOT required.
Polymerised cementitious rustproofing, with migrating corrosion technology, is applied to any exposed reinforcing steel (rebar) and protects all surfaces of partially “buried” steel.
Thin Repair – Featheredge to 12 mm (1/2”) – Gem-Plast TC
Spray applied and troweled, or hand applied.
Repairs 12 mm – 10 cm (1/2”-4”) – Fibre-Patch OV
For larger volumes consider using Spray-Con WS ST – wet shotcrete process applied mortar.
Advantages of Gemite’s concrete repair products:
- Shrinkage compensated – low drying shrinkage
- Resistance to cracking
- Excellent adhesion
- Exceptional workability
Protection – Exterior
Sealers penetrate deeply into substrate and provide excellent protection against harsh exposure conditions, by forming a chemical barrier that shields against moisture penetration and chemicals. Sealers are breathable, allowing moisture vapor to escape and provide long-term protection – re-apply in 5-7 years.
Low pressure-wash 17.5 MPa (2,500 psi) is used for surface preparation, before sealer application.
Gem-Gard SL VOC
Clear, solvent borne, VOC compliant molecular size, hydrophobic penetrating silane sealer.
Rain-Shield MS 100
Clear, Nano-Polymer Acrylic, waterborne, deeply penetrating sealer – delivering superior protection – up to 30 years.
Rain-Shield Stain OP WB
Acrylic waterborne stain provides color uniformity and protection to significantly extend life of structures – up to 30 years.
Advantages of Gemite’s sealers
- High breathability
- Superior long-term durability – in excess of 30 years
- Easy application
- Zero or low VOC
Protective Highly Flexible Coating
Highly flexible, chemically crosslinked, waterborne, acrylic coating that provides an excellent bridging of substrate cracks.
Advantages of Tuff-Flex CA
- Permanently seals moving cracks
- Superior long-term durability – over 30 years
- Highly breathable
- Excellent resistance to carbonation (CO2)
- Exceptionally UV light resistant
- Easy application
Protection – Interior
Cem-Kote Barrier Coat 100
Cem-Kote Barrier Cote 100 can be used over residual, well bonded epoxy after thorough sandblast cleaning.
Advantages of Cem-Kote Barrier Coat 100
- Excellent adhesion, even to previously coated or contaminated surfaces
- Long-term durability – the life of the structure
- Does NOT debond due to rainwater penetrating through concrete & cracks from the exterior
- Insensitive to concrete surface moisture during application
- Easier & much faster application than epoxy coatings
- Significantly lower cost (material & application) when compared with epoxy systems
Note: Contact Gemite Technical Service for technical advice and assistance is section of suitable coating system for protection of Interior surfaces of cooling towers.